I’m not currently cycling in because of my Achilles tendon being a bit of a PITA and I’ve got my eyes on the prize of a) skiing on Saturday and b) the marathon being 7 weeks away and I would still like to at least attempt it.
So I’m doing a lot of gym sessions and this morning I realised exactly how much junk I am carrying around and how much of it is to do with the fact I am a self proclaimed ‘fitness chick’ (rolling my eyes at myself for using that phrase) So I thought I would give you the low down and you can either agree with me that it is all necessary or roll your eyes knowing this is exactly why females get back and shoulder problems and diseases from their handbag contents.
PS I also don’t have a proper gym bag as because I usually cycle I have my super cool ninja turtle bright blue rucksack. So today my clothes are in a Sweaty Betty bag for life. Although getting one might solve some of my hoarding issues.
Weapon of choice – a cavernous black Bayswater tote (it can carry like everything including my laptop, several pieces of Tupperware, spare shoes, 27 hair ties…
This is what is currently rattling around in the main part of the bag
- a scarf
- a blazer (because I was too hot in the changing rooms to put it on)
- one glove (I think (hope!) the other one is in my coat pocket)
- make-up bag (let’s not even go into the contents of that…)
- perfume (Thierry Mugler Alien if you’re interested, which is probably a bit much for daytime but in my defence, I was packing my bag at 5.45am)
- purse (typically full of receipts and multiple cards, I had to force a couple of my male friends from ‘streamlining’ it at the weekend….which basically meant stealing my money, laughing at my railcard picture and telling me all I needed was one debit card)
- a book (“Elizabeth is missing” by Emma Healey) I’ve read 2 pages.
- an umbrella (it’s sunny currently but this is the UK…)
- a bottle of water
- a mini pot of Rowse honey (a freebie from last week….don’t ask)
- a roll of RockTape and a penknife (because my Achilles taping is coming off so obviously just in case I need to fix it on the fly….in the office. Obviously)
- phone charger and headphones
- iPod shuffle which I don’t really ever actually use at the gym
- half a packet of diclofenac (getting my NSAIDs for the day)
- a bottle of Maxinutrition promax milk (typically it’s a shaker and a mini pot with protein powder in it so I guess I’m space saving…or being lazy)
- a needle for inflating rugby balls (now I can feel the eyes rolling….although I don’t have a) a pump or b) a rugby ball so this is totally rendered pointless)
- a padlock (for gym locker)
- 3 hairties, 5 grips and a Sweaty Betty headband
- 2 packets of pre-cooked chicken, some rice cakes and a pot of Moroccan hummus (clearly I didn’t pack my lunch this morning)
- an apple (Pink Lady obviously)
- Nakd bar
- Frizz Ease curl controller
- deodorant (full size spray, none of this mini business for me)
And in the inside pocket?
- perfume sample
- travel toothbrush
- 2 rings that I haven’t put back on yet from pre-gym because I can’t lift with them on as it makes my hands even more gross
- 2 hairbands, 7 grips and a Nike headband (you can NEVER be too prepared with hairbands, I’d say there are another 5 in my makeup bag as well)
- A POUND COIN! (good find)
- earrings that I took off when I went to the gym about 4 days ago
- 2 pens
- my keys (both for my flat and my parent’s house because obviously you never know when you might need to go home….e.g. when you lose your flat key and your housemate is away and the logical thing to do is go to your parents rather than to one of your MANY FRIENDS WHO LIVE ACTUALLY 5 MINUTES FROM YOU)
Is this just me?! Does anyone else need 27 hair ties and multiple snacks? (On the plus side, at least I’m no longer carrying around individual packets of peanut butter) Any thoughts on what I should chuck out? (if I had my work laptop in there I would totally say that but it was in my locker)